Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Subak Restaurant–Dine with Nature

Date: August 13, 2011

This year my Dearest birthday falls on a Monday, so we decided to celebrate it on Saturday, August 13, 2011. Well, I was searching high and low for many ideas on how to celebrate her birthday. Was searching for places with nature theme and finally came across Subak.

IMG_2955

This was the entrance from the main road. Was dark when I took this shot because it was raining when we arrived. So saved the shot till after the dinner.

Anyway, this was the month of Ramadan , so Subak was having ‘Buka Puasa’ buffet for RM59Nett / Adult and RM20Nett / Child. When I called up to make reservations, I was told the ala carte menu only opens after 8.30pm. So immediately I booked for that time slot.

Note* Do make reservations early, as the place during their peak dinner time can be full house. When I called up the night before to confirm my reservation, they told me the restaurant was fully booked already. Thank goodness for early planning as I called beginning of the week.

Full Menu and Pricing of the food can be found here.

As usual, I did a little research to see what was good and recommended by reading from other food blogs.

 

For Starters, we had ‘Ibu Yati Gado – Gado’ and Chicken Soto Soup.

IMG_2922

IMG_2924

With my dear being a fan of Satay peanut sauce, I thought this would be one of the dishes to excite her palate, but it was a slight letdown… The supposedly vegetable salad felt overpowered by the smell and quantity of the bean sprouts… and was expecting a slightly warmer sauce. The dish did not do so well with the both of us. The Chicken Soto was quite alright, but nothing to shout about.

 

Next up for Sharing, The Main course: Subak Braised NZ Lamb Shank Masala & Subak Nasi Goreng (Fried Rice) with Chicken Satay.

IMG_2937IMG_2939

The Lamb Shank portion was quite generous. I felt that this was the best dish of the night. Such a pity that my dear had the fried rice, with the not so tasty chicken satay. Another disappointment, as the very same afternoon we had delicious homemade Chicken Satay. The ones served by Subak was slightly tough and the meat stuck to the stick. Not what I had expected with a price tag of RM25.00 for the fried rice.

IMG_2921

Our drinks for the night: Amore (Mixed raspberry with passion fruit, soda and “Selasih”) & Fresh Young Coconut

After finishing our meal, we decided not to waste any more on the desert and decided to skip that as well. Frankly, I was not too sure of the food taste this round. Perhaps the chef was worn out from preparing food for the buffet and it was the Ramadan month. Might have experienced it differently if it was on a normal day. Well, those who tried it after me, perhaps can let me know what you thought of it.

 

Before I sign off this post, I would like to highly stress that SERVICE was EXTREMELY TERRIBLE that night. At the initial stage, the staff were attentive right up to the point of taking our orders and that was it. It went downhill from that point.

The staff who set our table, was untrained and not attentive (Maybe he knew but chose to ignore us).

1. While setting our table, he held the tablespoon by the scoop rather than the handle… In Front of US~!

2. When he served the main course to us, he held the dish and waited for us to set aside our own starters that was not cleared which we finished 15minutes ago.

3. When finally all was done, we had to wave, call, and finally yelled for the waiter to bring us the bill. We in fact gave the waiter several chances to see us. He walked towards our directions with no less than 3 times but was either blind or chose to ignore us until we finally yelled for the bill. Very UNPROFESSIONAL.

4. Upon leaving the restaurant, we notice that there were no more than 3 tables left…..so why the waiter could not attend to us puzzles me to my wits end….

So sorry dear, I will try to make it up to you in other ways.

 

Anyway, for those looking for a romantic setting and does not mind the too much about the food, here is a good place to organize events and parties etc.  The place was cooling enough with sufficient fans to keep us cool.

 

Other reviews: masak-masak, Cumi & Ciki, Aly's Food

Lot 3213 Jalan Penchala Indah
Bukit Lanjan 60000
Kuala Lumpur

Opening Hours:
Mondays to Sundays including Public Holidays
11:00 a.m. till 12:00 midnight+

Contact Details:
Tel: (6)-03-7729 9030 / 31
Fax: (6)-03-7729 9036

For Inquiries & Reservations: info@subak.com.my
Fariz 019-7902401, Fendy 012-2424091 and Fazlan 010-5287289

 

I leave you with some images of the Restaurant.

 

IMG_2941IMG_2920IMG_2927IMG_2951IMG_2947

IMG_2952